Home Forums Main Forum General Homeschooling Holidays

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deanne Crawford 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Deanne Crawford

As we quickly (WAY TOO QUICKLY!) approach Thanksgiving and Christmas, I was wondering…do you continue with school as planned or do you switch things up a bit?

When my children were younger, we always took off the week of Thanksgiving through January 2nd. We would do unit studies related to the holiday, service projects, baking and even make gifts to give grandparents and other close family members.

One of my favorite Thanksgiving memories was to create a Thanksgiving Tree. This was pretty easy to do for preschoolers and elementary children. Taking butcher paper or newsprint paper, I would draw a life size tree to tape on the wall. Using color construction paper (Orange, Yellow, Brown, Red), we (children and mom and dad!) would trace their hands and cut them out. Each day, we would write something we were thankful for and hang our “leaves” on the tree. By Thanksgiving Day, we had a beautiful full fall tree and a greater appreciation for one another and the big or little things in our life!

I would love to hear your ideas!! Please share them :)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.