Beat the winter blues by cooking up some soup. The versatility of soup is perfect for homeschooing families that want to make a large batch of something that can be reheated the next day or later in the week. It also freezes well if you want to double the recipe and freeze half. I crave soups when the weather starts to cool down and find myself serving it for dinner several times during the cooler months with a salad or warm loaf of bread.
The following are some of my go-to soup recipes that are served often in my home.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Medium Butternut Squash
- 64 Ounces of Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup of Half and Half
- 3/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- ½ Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- Crumbled Bacon
- Cut the butternut squash in half, remove the seeds and lay it flesh side down on a lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-60 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool.
- Scoop out the flesh of the squash and place in large a saucepan. Add broth, sugar and spices.
- Using a hand mixer (you can use a blender too,) mix the ingredients until you have a smooth consistency.
- Add half and half.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Top with bacon and enjoy.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 cups chicken (cooked and cubed)
- ½ c. cooked rice (white or brown)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 stalk of celery (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 64 ounces of chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes (diced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until browned.
- Add celery and cook until translucent.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and once it reaches a boil again, reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (removed from casings, cooked and crumbled)
- 2 cups kale
- 6 large potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 48 oz of chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add Italian sausage, spices and half and half.
- Cook until heated through.
- Add cheese.
- Mix well.
- Add kale.
- Cook for 2 minutes and then serve!