I wish someone would have warned me to this universal fact, moms don’t get sick days. Had I known this over 20 years ago I would have written sick time into my parental contract!
Being around all sorts of ickies and yuckies doesn’t mean that Mom has to come down with every virus she meets (or gets to clean up after). Years ago I was blessed by a wise mom with some very basic, frugal and practical ways to keep myself from being banished to the sick bed. This isn’t an exhaustive list, but, will always keep you pointed in the right direction no matter how crazy life becomes.
- Meet with your Creator during the day! The earlier the better. However, fellowship with the Lord is always good no matter the time!
- Hug your loved ones! Hugs are free. Of course, use proper technique when your loved one is also the contagious one.
- Reconcile unresolved stress! Do not allow feelings to fester. This will drain your emotional state (affecting your immune system in the process) quicker than a hole in a gas tank! Either go directly to the source to reconcile or if this isn’t possible, take it before the Lord.
- Get enough sleep! Aim for lights out by 10 pm. Every hour of sleep you get before midnight counts for two. Napping as necessary also counts!
- Eat foods as close to the way God made them. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. If you can’t pronounce it without the help of Google Translate, don’t eat it! Avoid boxed items as much as possible.
- Drink water! Do I need to elaborate? Water helps flush out our system, hydrates our cells and is the best fluid to drink!
- Move everyday! Get at least 20 minutes of some form of exercise that you enjoy.
- Get some sunshine. Vitamin D comes naturally from the sun and you don’t need to sunbathe for hours to receive the benefit.
Now that you have some basics to maintain your health, hopefully you won’t need to ask to use some of those mythical sick days. By saving those days, hopefully you can save them for some much needed vacation/quiet/alone time!